Biomedical Engineering with Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Toby introduces the field of Biomedical Engineering with a specialization in Prosthetics and Orthotics. This knowledge area encompasses the design, development, and application of artificial limbs (prosthetics) and orthopedic devices (orthotics) to assist individuals with mobility challenges or physical impairments.
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Toby discusses the development of a machine-learning-based knee osteoarthritis progression prediction model. This knowledge area involves the application of AI and machine learning algorithms to analyze clinical data and make predictions, which is increasingly relevant in healthcare and medical research.
Interdisciplinary Research and Multidisciplinary Knowledge
- Toby highlights the importance of interdisciplinary research, where biomedical engineering students collaborate with experts from various fields, such as physiology, computer science, and healthcare practitioners. This emphasizes the need for a broad and multidisciplinary knowledge base in biomedical engineering.
Medical Databases and Clinical Data Analysis
- Toby mentions the acquisition of clinical data and the use of well-established databases for research purposes. Biomedical engineers often work with medical databases and apply data analysis techniques to derive insights and develop healthcare solutions.
Healthcare System Understanding and Public Health Impact
- Toby discusses the impact of the AI predictor on the healthcare system, including the potential benefits of early disease prediction and personalized treatment plans. This knowledge area involves understanding the healthcare ecosystem, patient care pathways, and the application of technology to improve public health.
" As a CEO of a company, I am the most senior officer in charge of managing the organisation, and my responsibility includes being a strategic decision-maker, driving the changes in the company, and motivating my colleagues."
"The first thing that comes to my mind is definitely learning to construct an AI to solve the problem by myself, which is not taught during my undergraduate study. Therefore, I have to surf the Internet to look from the websites or online videos which could teach me how to compile the programme."
"So my first advice would be to stay hungry and foolish. University is a very welcoming haven to nurture every student. Try to be curious all the time, do not be afraid to ask and do not be ashamed to make any mistakes."